2020 F1 World Championships
Following the global coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 Formula One World Championship’s start date of March 15 was abandoned. As news of the coronavirus outbreak was emerging, the season’s opening races were cancelled one after another. The Australian, Monaco and French Grands Prix were cancelled, while those in Bahrain, Vietnam, China, Holland, Spain, Azerbaijan and Canada were cancelled. While uncertainty still remains, the season is finally set to get under way with the Australian Grand Prix, on July 5. F1 organisers are said to be considering various options to complete the full season, such as rescheduling races and hosting more than one race at each of the remaining locations.
Will Fernando Alonso be returning to F1?
BBC Sport has exclusively reported that Fernando Alonso’s main adviser Flavio Briatore has stated that the former two-time F1 world champion is ready to return to Formula One racing in 2021. In an exclusive with BBC Sport, Briatore said, “Fernando is motivated. A year out of Formula 1 has done him good. He has detoxed himself and I see him more serene and ready to return.”
With plans to race at the Indianapolis 500, Alonso left Formula One after completing the 2018 season. Rumours have circulated that the Spanish driver will sign for Renault upon his return, following a yearlong absence from the sport.
Formula One and Silverstone Reach Agreement
After negotiations last week, British Racing Drivers’ Club and Formula One reached an agreement to host two Grands Prix at Silverstone behind closed doors. However, with the positive news of the agreement came a sour point. As part of the second phase of its response to the coronavirus pandemic, the British government announced all international arrivals would be subject two a two-week quarantine period. This would throw the viability of the races in doubt.